Professor @ Media Arts and Sciences
Director, Smart3D Media Lab School of Software Engineering, Tongji UniversityRoom 312, Jishi Building, No. 4800, Cao-an Highway Shanghai, P. R. China, 201804
Computer Graphics, Lightweight 3D Modeling, Internet Graphics, Web Virtual Reality (WebVR), Lightweight 3D Engine, Interactive Entertainment, Big BIM Data Visualization, 3D Web Services, Image/Sketch Based 3D Retrieval, Mobile Web3D Authoring Platform, Peer-to-Peer Transmission of Large Scale Virtual World
Feb. 2000 - March. 2004
Ph.D. Program (Geometric Modeling and Computer Graphics), Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
Ph.D. Thesis: "Novel Solutions to Intersection Problems of Special Surfaces Based on Quadric Decompositions"
Aug. 1988 - June. 1991
Master Program (Computational Geometry), Mathematics Institute, Jilin University
Master Thesis: “Fast Algorithm of Ray Tracing Surfaces of Revolution”
March 2007 - now
Chair Professor, School of Software Engineering, Tongji University
Director, Smart3D Media Lab, Tongji University
Distinguished Professor, Division of Gaming, Jilin Animation Institute (JAI)
Director, Engineering Center of Jilin Provincial Colleges for Gaming and Interactive Media
Sept.2004 - Feb.2007
- Professor, Department of Computer Science and Technology, Zhuhai College of Jilin University
- Deputy Director, Zhuhai Software Research Institute (http://soft.jluzh.com), Jilin University
- Visiting Researcher, AG1, Max-Planck-Institute fur Informatik, Sarrbrucken, Germany
- Awarded DFG Fellowship by Germany Government
- Participating in European Community Project ‘Effective Computational Geometry of Curves and Surfaces’ and ‘Efficient and Exact Algorithms for Curves and Surfaces’ (http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/projects/EXACUS
- Conquering Quadric Surface Intersection Problems with Prof. Schomer, Dr. Warken, DR Stefan and DR Nicola together.
April, 1999 ~ Oct. 1999
- Research Assistant, Department of Computer Science, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Devising QoS Based Multicast and Anycast Protocols for Large Scale Distributed Virtual Environment (HK RGC Grant CityU 1055/98E);
Joining Team of Prof. Jia Weijia, Computer Science, City University of Hong Kong
- Lecturer, Department of Computer Engineering, Fushun Petroleum Institute, Fushun
- Long Zhao, Shuang Liang, Jinyuan Jia, “Learning best views of 3D shapes from sketch contour”, The Visual Computer. 31(6), pp.765-774, 2015.
- Laixiang Wen, Ning Xie, Jinyuan Jia. “LPM: Fast Accessing Web3D Contents Using Lightweight Progressive Meshes”. Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds, in Press, 2015.
- Mingfei Wang, Yunxiaochu Zhong, Ning Xie, Jinyuan Jia and Chenxi Zhang. “Interest-driven Avatar Neighbor-organizing for P2P Transmission in Distributed Virtual Worlds”. Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds. In Press, 2015.
- Dejia Zhang, Ning Xie, Shuang Liang, Jinyuan Jia, “3D Tree Skeletonization from Multiple Images Based on PyrLK Opitical Flow”, Pattern Recognition Letters. In Press, 2015.
- Long Zhao, Shuang Liang, Yichen Wei, Jinyuan Jia, “Object Proposal by Multi-branch Hierarchical Segmentation”, IEEE CVPR, 2015. （Top Conference）
- Xiaojun Liu, Ning Xie, Jinyuan Jia, “Web3D-based Online Walkthrough of Large-scale Underground Scenes”, ACM/IEEE Distributed Simulation and Real Time Applications, (DS-RT), 2015.
- Michael Englert, Yvvone Jung, Paul Grimm and Jinyuan Jia, “A Streaming Framework for Instant 3D Rendering and Interaction”, ACM Symposium on Virtual Reality Software and Technology (VRST), 2015.
- Laixiang Wen, Ning Xie, Jinyuan Jia, “Client-driven Strategy of Large-scale Scene Streaming”, Special Session on Good Practices in Multimedia Modeling (MMM), 2016.
- Jinyuan Jia, Qian Zhang, Long Zeng and Shuang Liang, “Voxel-Encoded Descriptor for 3D Model Retrieval by Exploring Models’ Spatial Information”，Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology (JMST) , 20(2), 2014.（SCI）
- Jinyuan Jia, Wei Wang, Xiaojun Hei, “An Efficient Caching Algorithm for Peer-to-Peer 3D Streaming in Distributed Virtual Environments”, Network and Computer Applications (JNCA), 42(2014).
- Long Zhao, Shuang Liang, Yichen Wei and Jinyuan Jia, "Size and Location Matter: a New Baseline for Salient Object Detection", The 12th Asian Conference on Computer Vision (ACCV), Singapore, November 2014.
- Shuang Liang, Long Zhao, Yichen Wei and Jinyuan Jia, "Sketch-Based Retrieval Using Content-Aware Hashing", The 15th Pacific-Rim Conference on Multimedia (PCM), Malaysia, December, 2014.
- Qian Zhang and Jinyuan Jia, "A GPU based high-efficient and accurate optimal pose alignment approach of 3D objects". The 4th Eurographics Workshop on 3D Object Retrieval (EG3DOR2011), April 10, 2011, Llandudno (UK), 2011.
- Qian Zhang, Jinyuan Jia, Hongyu Li, "A GPU based 3D Object Retrieval Approach using Spatial Shape Information". The 13th IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia (ISM2010) (published by IEEE CS), Taichung, Taiwan, December 2010.
- Chao Zhang, Hongyu Li, Jinyuan Jia, "Fast Active Tabu Search and its Application to Image Retrieval", 21st International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI09), Pasadena, California, USA, July 11-17, 2009. (Top Conference)
- Jinyuan Jia, George Baciu and Ki-wan Kwok, “Quadric Decomposition for Computing Intersections of Two Surfaces of Revolution”, Graphical Model, Vol. 66, No. 5，pp.263-330, September, 2004.
- Jinyuan Jia, Kai Tang and Ajay Joneja, “Bi-Conic subdivision for surfaces of revolution and its applications to intersection problems”, The Visual Computer, Vol. 20, No. 7, pp.457-478，2004.
- Project of National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), “Key technologies on Progressive P2P Transmitting Huge DVE Scenes Based on Component Repetition”.
- National Twelfth Five-year Plan of Major Science and Technology Support Project, “Lightweight Web3D Based Virtual Red Jinggangshan Tourism Platform ”.
- Doctoral Program of Higher Education Scientific Research Grant (for Ph.D. Supervisor Category), ”Image and Rule Based Lightweight Web3D Landscape Modeling”.
- Shanghai Science and Technology Key Project Grant, “Some Key Technologies on Large Scale Virtual Expo over Internet”.
- Jinlin Science and Technology Key Project Grant, “Core Algorithms on Next Generation Wireless Transmission of 3D Media over Mobile Internet”.
- Provincial Grant of Natural Science Foundation of Liaoning (NSFL), “Geometric Computing Algorithms of Typical Special Surfaces in CAD”.
- Project of Natural Science Foundation of Liaoning Education Committee (NSFLC), “Intersection Algorithms of Canal Surfaces and Revolute Surfaces Based on Quadric Subdivision”.
- Changbai Smart Valley Talent Plan, “Cloud Service Platform of Lightweight 3D Assets Database for Mobile Internet and Some Key Technologies”.
- Fundamental Research Grant of Central University -Key Project of Interdisciplinary Cross (Category A), “Internet3D Based Virtual Fire Safety Lab for Underground Space”.
- Model Application R&D Project (Cooperating with Enterprises), “Interactive Visualization of Shanghai Underground Space on Web Browsers”.
- Model Application R&D Project (Cooperating with Enterprises), “Smart3DFurnisher : Lightweight Smart Interior Design Platform.
- Model Application R&D Project (Cooperating with Enterprises), “Real Time Visualization and Interaction of Big BIM Data over Internet”.
- Model Application R&D Project (Cooperating with Enterprises), “Multiple-player Cooperatively Online Reviewing Automobile Platform on Mobile Internet”.
Recent Professional Activity
- Leading Guest Editor, “Advances in Web3D”, Special Issue of Graphical Models, 2016.
- Program Committee Member. The 2nd International IEEE Symposium on Creative Computing (IEEE ISCC’16), Oxford University, UK, 29 Mach -1 April, 2016.
- Keynote Speaker. The 10th IEEE International Symposium on Haptic Audio-Visual Environments and Games (HAVE), Qinhuangdao, China, October, 2011.
- Program Committee Chair. The 20th International Conference on ACM Web3D, Crete, Greece, 2015.
- Program Committee Member. The 21st ACM Symposium on Virtual Reality Software and Technology (VRST), Beijing, China, 2015.
- Editorial Board Member. International Journal on Advances in Software (IJOAS, Springer Press).
- Editorial Board Member. International Journal of Creative Computing (IJCrC, Springer Press)